Measurement system evaluation
This course teaches you how to design, perform and analyze a Measurement System Evaluation.
Reliable measurements are necessary to make good decisions. This course is 1-day training where we combine theory with practical exercises.
You learn how to create a Process map of the Measurement method to better understand the method. The Process map includes variables that contribute to variation. These variables are possible root causes of Measurement Systems that are not capabel.
We use a Galton board to understand basic statistics and the concept of normal and special variation. You learn to create Control Charts to decide normal variation. Control charts are used to assess characteristics of your Measurement System.
We discuss applications that are relevant to you.
You need excel for the exercises and will get an excel file you can use to create Control Charts and perform Measurement System Evaluations.
You learn to:
- Create a process map of your Measurement system
- Identify variables that contribute to variation
- Design measurement system evaluations based on hypotheses
- Collect data based on design
- Assess the following characteristics of your measurement system:
- precision and accuracy
- repeatability and reproducibility
- stability, bias and linearity
- sensitivity (resolution)
- capability - ability to detect differences in the medium being measured
Galton board is used during the training for basic understanding of statistics, and practical exercises.
- Determine how much of the total variation is due to the measurement system
- Compare internal inspection standards with customer standards
- Highlight areas where calibration training is needed
- Evaluate training of how analyzes are performed
- Compare existing measuring equipment
- Qualify new measuring equipment
- Compare measurements between operators and instruments
- Compare measurement methods
- Provide criteria for new measurement systems
- Identify abnormal measurements
- Evaluate a measuring instrument before and after repair