This course teach you how to use A3 to solve a problem. The A3 template we use follows 7 steps:
- Background (why we should solve this issue)
- Current condition (neutral facts describing where we are today)
- Goals (the specific outcome required to succeed)
- Analysis (identify possible causes and prove the true root cause(s))
- Countermeasure(s) (identify possible solutions and choose based on your decision criteria)
- Implementation plan (actions, responsible and timeline)
- Follow-up (ensure lasting results using monitoring and response plan)
The course combines online training (4 hours) and web meetings (2 x 2 hours).
When passing the exam (unlimited number of attempts) you will be A3 and 5 Why / Fishbone certified (earning international credits: 1 and 2 PDUs, respectively).
Certification by Lean Tech's partner GoLeanSixSigma. Their online training have achieved the highest scores, and participants describe their courses as fun, accessible, affordable, practical, easy to understand and effective.
In the first web meeting, we review the A3 template and you learn how to follow each of the 7 steps to solve a problem.
The next web meeting is about 1 month later. We will review all the participants' A3. You get answers to your questions and feedback on your A3.
You have about 1 month to practice A3. Choose a problem that is realistic to solve in 1 month. If you have not completed all the 7 steps for solving the problem, no worries: We will go through what you have.
This course enables you to:
- Know what an A3 is and how to use it to solve problems
- Know what information is relevant to include in an A3
- Assess which problem is most important to solve right now
- Know how to collect relevant data about the current situation
- Set measurable goals
- Identify possible causes of a problem using 5 Why & Fishbone
- Prove root causes
- Consider different solutions and choose the best ones based on your criteria’s
- Prepare an action plan
- Follow up using Monitoring and Response plan to create lasting results
You will learn to use an A3 for structured problem solving
- Problem-solving methods A3, PDCA, DMAIC & 8D
- Introduction to Lean Six Sigma
- Review of A3 with practical assignments:
- Set the right scope
- Measure the current situation
- Set a goal
- Understand Y = f (x)
- Understand the terms symptom, problem and root cause
- Brainstorming root causes
- Group root causes using a Fishbone
- (Continuing Review of A3 with practical assignments)
- Make root causes measurable
- Prioritize root causes
- Use 5 Why to find true root causes
- Prove root cause using observation
- Prove root cause by turning on / off
- Evaluate & prioritize solutions
- Implement solutions
- Ensure lasting results through follow-up
- Create a Monitoring plan and Response plan
You get a workbook with tasks to complete during the web meeting.