Root cause analysis
This course teach you how to identify, prove and solve true root causes to achieve lasting solutions to a problem.
The course follows Six Sigma's DMAIC problem-solving method:
- Define: Understand problem
- Measure: Identify possible causes
- Analyze: Prove true root causes
- Improve: Solve root causes
- Control: Create lasting solution
The course focus on the Measure and Analyze phase. The purpose of the course is to identify and prove root causes to ensure lasting solution(s) to a problem.
This course is 2 days training where we combine theory with practical exercises. The exercises can be customized based on the need of the company and your own data can be used.
This course is also conducted through web meetings, videos and group coaching: 3 web meetings of 2 hours focusing on practical exercises. The theory is presented through videos (approx. 2 hours). 1 hour group coaching 2-4 weeks after the last web meeting, helps you practice what you learned.
You will receive a course certificate after completing the course.
- Define: Problem statement
- Define: Goal statement (specific)
- Define: Understand the problem and possible next steps using Thought Map
- Measure: Create Process Map and identify possible causes of a problem
- Measure: Data collection based on theories
- Measure: Understand the difference between discrete and continuous data
- Measure: Use statistics to make sense of data (center, spread and shape)
- Measure: Separate normal and special variation using Control Charts
- Measure: Determine capability and problem-solving strategy
Galton board is used during the training for basic understanding of statistics and histograms. We will also use it for practical exercises.
- Analyze: Select the most suitable graph to prove /disprove root causes:
- Pie Chart
- Bar Chart
- Pareto Chart
- Run chart
- Time-series plot
- Box plot
- X-Y chart / Scatter plot
- Improve: Brainstorming techniques, priority matrixes and implementation plan
- Control: Follow-up to ensure lasting solutions